|The Manor of Bramshott was held by two
during the reign o Edward the Confessor, and during the period of the
Domesday Survey it was held by Edward of Salisbury.
During the 15th century it was spit and then in 1550 it was given in its entirety to the Mervyn family. Then in 1610 it was conveyed to John Hooke and then passed on to the Whitehead and Dennis families.
Hardley any alterations have been done to the Manor house since the 15th century and it is said to be the oldest continuously inhabited house in Hampshire, even when in 1917 it commandeered by the War Office
There has been quite a bit of industrial activity in the village which stems back to the Romans who once worked iron here. This was again developed by Henry Hooke between 1616 and 1625 but by the middle of the 18th century it had gone into decline once again. The parish has been linked with the Iron industry and it is recorded in the name Hammer Bottom.
Paper making, forestry, milling and even the making of brooms has been going on here for many years, and the last two wee connected with the Woolmer Forest and surrounding heathlands.
Bramshott also has associations with Sydney and Beatrice Webb who were the founder members of the Fabian Society, and it was they who built Passfield Corners. And then in 1929 Sydney Webb became Lord Passfield and when they died the house was left to the London School of Economics.
The parish does have a rare collection of names, Liphook, Hammer Bottom, Waggoner's Wells, Ludshott Common, and Conford to name but a few.
There is a ruined railway bridge near to the Passfield Oak public house and this was part of the Longmoor Military Railway which was privately owned and used to train Royal Engineers on how to not only run a railway but on how to construct one and the railway here mainly ran from Bordon to Longmoor camp then an extension to Liss on the main London to Portsmouth line was built in 1933.
When Charles I was on the throne his main parliamentary opponent was John Pym who was married in the church here in 1604.
Another local 'celebrity was Flora Thompson (see Grayshott) and she came to Liphook in 1916 until 1928 at London Road which is next door now the Midland Bank. Her husband used to be the postmaster and this was where the post office used to be. The Thompson's later bought Woolmer Gate which is at Griggs Green a small hamlet on the outskirts of Bramshott and it was during her stay in Liphook that she wrote for a Catholic magazine.
As Bramshott is situated on the Hythe Beds, an area of eroded sandstone there are many sunken lanes in the area and the cause of this was first recognised by the author and naturalist Gilbert White who remarked about the ugly appearance of the damage caused not only by erosion by water but also by the amount of traffic that used the area 'affright the ladies . . . and make timid horsemen shudder' is what he is said to have uttered.