Hound &  Netley Abbey
Dateline 1875

HOUND is a parish and village, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Mansbridge, Southampton petty sessional division and county court district, South Stoneham union, diocese and archdeaconry of Winchester, and rural deanery of Southampton, 3| miles south-east-by-east from Southampton. A railway is now open from Southampton to this place. Netley station is equidistant between the villages of Netley Abbey and Hound. The parish lies on the verge of the Southampton Water, at a short distance from the banks of which, and surrounded by well-wooded and gently rising grounds, are the celebrated ruins of Netley Abbey, founded in 1239 for Cistercian monks. 


Netley Abbey

Near the abbey, and contiguous to Southampton Water, is Netley Castle, which stands on the site of the old fort, or castle, erected by Henry VIII., the old and massive walls being retained in the present building.

 
The Church of St Mary the Virgin, locally known as Hound Church
The stone on the wall of the lych gate

The church of St. Mary was erected in the year 1230 by the Cistercian monks of Hamble Priory : it consists of a chancel and nave, and bell tower with 3 bells, and was purchased from the monks, together with their priory, by William de Wykeham, the founder of Winchester College: the great tithes belong to the College, the vicarial tithes to the vicar of Hound. . The living is a discharged vicarage, annual value 160, in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College, and held by the Rev. William Stephen French, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford. Tliere is a National school. Half a mile from Netley Abbey is situated the Royal Victoria Hospital, a noble and most extensive building, for the reception of invalided soldiers; it is capable of holding 1,200 patients, and was erected at a cost of over 400,000. Her Majesty laid the foundation stone in May, 1856; and the Hospital was opened in March, 1863. The Royal Victoria Hospital is also the depot, and forms the head quarters, of the Medical Department of the Army. The Army Medical School, an establishment for the instruction of medical officers, preparatory to joining the military service, in special military-sanitary subjects, is likewise attached to the Royal Victoria Hospital. The hospital is under the command of a military governor, who is also commanding officer
of the Army Hospital Corps, whose head quarters are there, and the professional superintendence is entrusted to an Inspector-General of Hospitals, as principal medical officer. A large, commodious building, containing the mess-room, reading and ante-rooms, and the quarters of the Medical Staff Officers, stands close to the hospital. Thomas Chamberlayne, esq., is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, gravel. The population in 1871 was 3,380, which includes 310 persons on board H.M.S. " Hector," which was lying off Hound in 1871; also 891 in the Royal Victoria Hospital and adjoining buildings.

NETLEY and HOUND, with SATCHELL, are tithings in the parish of Hound.

HISTORY OF NETLEY
HISTORY OF NETLEY ABBEY AND PHOTOGRAPHS
ROYAL VICTORIA HOSPITAL NETLEY