|Tunworth is a small parish which
lies four miles to the south-east of Basingstoke and early habitation
has been traced to the Neolithic Age when a flint axe was found near to
Down Farm. A burial that has a skull and a pottery jar has also been
discovered and this dates to the Roman occupation. The manor was held in
Saxon times by Alured from Queen Edith and it was one of many estates
that were owned by Hugh de Port at the time the Domesday Survey was
being carried out.|
The property stayed with the de Ports until 1633 when Thomas Hall, who was twice Mayor of Basingstoke, succeeded to the manor, The land was then sold in 1760 to Samuel Prince who then sold it to Tristram Huddlestone Jervoise of Herriard in 1763 and it subsequently stayed with his family. The start of the 20th century saw it in the hands of Francis H. T. Jervoise who was lord of the manor and sole landowner.
The main form of employment at Tunworth has always been agriculture and the are comprises of mixed woodland with open land that is well connected to the local roads.
The 12th century church, dedicated to All Saints, is of flint construction with a bell turret that has a single bell. Restoration work was carried out in 1854 when an oak porch and font were added at the private expense of F. J. E. Jervoise.
At the back of the churchyard are the
woods of Herriard Park and the parish registers date from 1749 and
inside the church is an alms box that dates back to the 17th century.