WHIPPINGHAM
Above the river Medina can be found Whippingham that has no real village centre as such but its fame comes from close connections to Queen Victoria, Osborne House, the Queen's island hom that lies on the outskirts of the village and is well worth a visit. Run by English Heritage  and in its lovely gardens can be found the Swiss Cottage which was basically transported in pieces from Switzerland then put together here and handed over by Victoria  at a formal occasion to the Royal children on Victoria's 35th Birthday, 24th May 1854.

There are some Almshouses opposite the church and these were built on instructions given by Victoria for retired servants at the house. Coburg Cottage  in Mount Road was also built in 1853 for the same reason. It was designed by Prince Albert and is in the style of a Bavarian Hunting lodge.

The church is dedicated to St Mildred and when the queen came to live at Osborne it was decided a new parish church should be built to replace the original that was built by John Nash i 1804, Price Albert worked with Albert Jenkins Humbert who late designed Sandringham and the church was built with five pinnacles.

It was in this church that Princess Beatrice marred Prince Henry of Battenburg who was the uncle of Lord Louis Mountbatten and both in turn served as Governor to the Isle of Wight and were buried at Whippingham church.

Barton Manor was bought by the Queen at the same time as Osborne House and she had it rebuilt and used as an annexe for guests to Osborne House and it also served as a home farm for the estate.

The Folly  Inn got its name fro a sloop that ran aground in the 18th century and has a lovely river view and if you walk upstream the river broadens and walking upriver you will come to Newport Quay.

 

St Mildred's church
Photo courtesy of David & Suzanne Maitland-Wood
 
http://groups.msn.com/Appuldurcombe

 

St Mildred's church behind Glebe Cottage
Photo courtesy of IOWCAM

 

 
The Lych gate   Detail of the tower
 
Early evening in the churchyard   The door to the church and the Crucifix

Four photos above kindly submitted by Irene Read

The Royal Pew at Whippingham church
(Photo courtesy of Ann Ryder, Porton Wilts)